Blood Orange and All you Need to Know About it
At first, you may believe that this fruit is just a regular orange. Oranges are just good in taste that's all right? Well there is much more to the blood orange than what we know. The distinctive red-wine flesh color is due to the presence of anthocyanins, a family of pigments common to many flowers, but uncommon in citrus fruit.
After all, they're called blood oranges for a reason? Read on, and you will have all the answers to blood orange.
The blood orange is an organic mutation of the sweet orange with which we are familiar. Some studies state that the flavour of blood oranges is essentially a blend of raspberry and oranges. Blood oranges have a distinct reddish colour credit to their high levels of anthocyanin pigment. This brightly coloured pigment is commonly found in other vegetables and fruits. Majorly the colours are red, blue, or purple-ish colours such as blueberries, beets, eggplants, and purple cabbage.
Blood Orange has many consumable benefits like:
1) Good Source of Vitamin C- Blood Orange is rich in vitamin C and has also been found to stimulate collagen production in the body. These traits are crucial for having healthy skin, bones, teeth, and hair.
2) Prevents Cancer- The presence of anthocyanin in blood oranges helps to protect against cancer. It does so by restraining the multiplication of cancer cells and causes the death of these lethal cells.
3) Strong Antioxidant Properties- Free radicals are responsible for a lot of diseases such as heart disease and cancer, other degenerative diseases, and even ageing. The antioxidants that exist in blood oranges are known to help battle against free radicals in our body.
These are just the consumable benefits. There are way more skin benefits of the juicy fruit. These skin perks include:
Treats hyper-pigmentation, age spots, sunburns, acne and eczema
- Rejuvenates skin
- Revives elasticity
- Improves skin appearance
- Delays the effects of skin ageing
- Assists with cell regeneration
- Promotes collagen and elastin
- Firmer, smoother and youthful skin
- Increases skin elasticity
- Protects from UV damage
Next time you're strolling down the produce aisle at the grocery store, don't delay to pick those blood oranges and try them out. They are perfect for your skin, bones, teeth and much more.
Now you know all you need about blood orange!